Now that I'm home and have had time to think a bit about it all I thought it was worth making some summary comments here.

Web Log

First, this web log has itself been quite an adventure. I have really enjoyed writing it and have been very pleased at the response- I have had dozens of e-mails, both from friends that I knew were reading it, and from many strangers, thanking me for writing it. It gave me a very comfortable feeling each night as I sat and wrote up my days thoughts.

Not only has the web log let others share some of my experience, it has left me with a nice written log of my trip, which I will print and keep as a photo album of my trip.

The Route

I could have made the trip much shorter by skipping the Trent-Severn and the lakes, but I am very glad that I did the whole route.

I liked the Rideau Canal best. It was a wonderful combination of historic, senic, restfull.

The Trent-Severn was interesting mostly because of the hydraulic locks and the Big Chute Railway.

The Erie was also interesting, and I am very happy to have finally been able to see it from the water, after all the years of seeing it frm the NY Thruway.

The lakes, and the Hudson River and Long Island Sound were beautiful, and again, Im very happy to have been made the trip. I was never even close to bored, even on the long days when I ran 12 or more hours. There really is nothing quite like 'simply messing about in boats'


When I tied up at my dock the boats Trip Log read 1999 miles. Of course that is based on a speed through the water so is somewhat inaccurate. When I added up the various canal lengths and lake segments before I left I estimated 2100 miles.

I started out on Tuesday, May 24 and finished on Saturday, June 25. Thats 32 days on the water.

My total fuel use was 596.7 gallons, for $1444.53. Prices ranged from a low of $1.99 per gallon to $2.99

The total engine hours were 240.9, for an overall average of 2.5 gal/hr. The worst fuel use was down Lake Erie when I pushed up to 2750 rpm to make about 12 mph, fuel use went to 4.6gph for that leg. Of course these numbers assume each tank fill up was relaly full, but I think they are close.

Here is a spreadsheet with all the details of fuel use.

The Albin 27

I am very satisfied with the boat. It was comfortable, reasonably quiet, and gave a solid ride on the few sections of open water I encountered. There are a few minor things I want to change, like adding a solid door on the back of the pilot house instead of the curtain, making a couple more window screens, and Id like to get a small referigerator instead of using ice.

I had only a couple minor maintenance issues. The bilge pump screen got clogged a couple times from junk in the bilge. Ill power wash that on my next haul out. A hose suppling water to the galley sink had a small crack and leaked in the area where it passes close to the engine. I replaced a few feet of the hose.

I could not get the macerator pump to work during the trip. Once home, in waters where they are legal, and pumpout stations are very rare, I needed to get that fixed, but I was really not anxious to get into those pipes. However, it was necessary so I dug in. The first joint I opened was between a hose from the pump and a stack of pipe fittings off the seacock- this is a real kludge of fittings, and one I will change next winter. There are several reducers and couplings, ending with a pipe stub. The pipe was too small for the hose, so someone had wrapped electrical tape around the pipe, under the hose. But they left a bit of it extending above the pipe, and that had folded over, into the pipe. A quick trim with a knife, reassemble it and the pump now works fine.

I have now installed the radar dome, and started to build an overhead console for the navigatiopn equipment, but decided to re-think its location. I am now thinking about building a new instrument panel- the curent one puts a few switches in the very center of the panel, prime space that ought to be the chartplotter. For the currrent season the chartplotter will stay on its temporary mount on the dash while I think carefully about the final arrangement.


The autopilot is finally fixed, and steers straight as an arrow.

When I got home I made a few measutrements and tests and determined the problem was a broken potentiometer in the rudder position sensor. This is strange because John told me he had to have it repaired after he installed it. From the damage to the part I suspect it was not properly repaired.

I called Raymarine to order the part and was told they did not sell parts- only the whole unit, for $355. The replacement pot from Mouser was $10.40. I ordered one, but it turned out the stock part has a shorter shaft. So, into the machine shop, make a pot chuck to hold it, drill the shaft, add an extension, mill the flat, drill a hole, and I have a good part. Just 2 hours of machine time!

I installed the repaired parts and tested the system and it now works well. After all the tinkering I did underway it was a relief to finally have it right.