At the bow of the boats the planks need to blend into one surface, so a short 'gain' is cut into the top edge of each plank. When the planks come together the leading edge will be flat, and about 10 inches back the planks will overlap. This gain is simple to cut with a rabate plane.
Here we have tied together the 4 lower planks on each side. We did this as a more or less flat sheet, but the we turned it up right and clamped the frames in place to roughly hold the planks in shape.
Looking toward the bow, with the frames clamped in place.
At this point we decided to turn the boat over so we could get better access to the wires and do an overall tightening up of the wires. This really started to pull the boat into shape.
Looking forward as Roger twists the ties. The copper wire is fairly soft and we did break a few.
We flipped the boat back upright and added the last 2 planks on each side.
Once the boat was all wired and all the joints pulled tight it appeared in nearly its final shape. At that time we glued the breasthook and quarter knees to the top plank, and applied a large epoxy and wood flour putty down the inside of the stem and around the joint between the transom and the planks.
Back to my home page